About The Song
Title: Up on the Roof
- Artist: The Drifters
Release Date: 1962
Album: Up on the Roof
Writers: Gerry Goffin, Carole King
Genre: R&B, Soul
- “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters reached No. 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 4 on the Billboard R&B singles chart in 1962.
- The song is one of The Drifters’ signature hits.
- “Up on the Roof” is an R&B and soul ballad with a smooth and melodic sound.
- The track features The Drifters’ trademark harmonies and a soulful vocal delivery.
- The song opens with a gentle piano introduction, setting the mood for the heartfelt lyrics.
- The chorus, with the memorable refrain “Up on the roof,” contributes to the song’s timeless appeal.
- “Up on the Roof” is celebrated for its evocative lyrics and the soulful interpretation by The Drifters.
- The song has become a classic representation of the Brill Building sound and the Brill Building songwriting duo of Goffin and King.
Usage in Media:
- “Up on the Roof” has been featured in various films, TV shows, and commercials.
- Its enduring popularity has led to its inclusion in compilations and retrospectives of classic R&B and soul music.
- The song remains a cherished classic in The Drifters’ discography and in the broader context of R&B and soul music.
- The heartfelt lyrics and the soulful delivery have made “Up on the Roof” a timeless gem that resonates with audiences across generations.
In summary, “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters is a soulful and melodic R&B classic that reflects the Brill Building era’s songwriting brilliance. The song’s enduring popularity and emotional resonance have solidified its status as one of The Drifters’ most beloved and iconic tracks.
“Up On The Roof”
🎵 Let’s sing along with the lyrics! 🎤
(Up on the roof)When this old world starts getting me down
And people are just too much for me to face (Up on the roof)
I climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space (Up on the roof)
On the roof, it’s peaceful as can be
And there, the world below can’t bother me
Let me tell you now
When I come home feeling tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (Up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowds
And all that rat race noise down in the street (Up on the roof)
On the roof’s the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let’s go up on the roof (Up on the roof)
At night, the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me
I keep-a tellin’ you
Right smack dab in the middle of town
I found a paradise that’s trouble-proof (Up on the roof)
And if this world starts getting you down
There’s room enough for two up on the roof (Up on the roof)
Up on the roof (Up on the roof)
Oh, come on, baby (Up on the roof)
Oh, come on, honey (Up on the roof)
Everything is all right (Up on the roof)